How to Disinfect Your Spring
If you are uncomfortable or unable to follow these steps or need help with disinfection, contact a local well driller or water quality expert.
Shock chlorination of springs is difficult and often doesn’t work. This is because the water often runs through the spring box too quickly for the chlorine to kill the bacteria. If bacteria are still present after shocking, the Health Department recommends a continuous disinfection system, such as a UV light.
Caution: Do not disinfect the spring box if the spring overflow (the water that does not go to your house) reaches a stream, pond or wetland area. Chlorinated water may kill fish and harm the environment. If the spring box overflows from a flood event, wait for the water level to go down before shocking.
Follow the steps below to disinfect your spring if bacteria were detected in your water, your spring system was repaired, or if the system was flooded or contaminated.